Is It Really A Gift?


First of all I would like to say that this article is according to 'MY' little understanding. So none of this is a teaching of the Catholic Church but my description.

A few days back I heard a parable being read from Matthew 21:33-43 “Listen to another parable,” Jesus said. “There was once a landowner who planted a vineyard, put a fence around it, dug a hole for the wine press, and built a watchtower. Then he rented the vineyard to tenants and left home on a trip. When the time came to gather the grapes, he sent his slaves to the tenants to receive his share of the harvest. The tenants grabbed his slaves, beat one, killed another, and stoned another. Again the man sent other slaves, more than the first time, and the tenants treated them the same way. Last of all he sent his son to them. ‘Surely they will respect my son,’ he said. But when the tenants saw the son, they said to themselves, ‘This is the owner's son. Come on, let's kill him, and we will get his property!’ So they grabbed him, threw him out of the vineyard, and killed him. “Now, when the owner of the vineyard comes, what will he do to those tenants?” Jesus asked. “He will certainly kill those evil men,” they answered, “and rent the vineyard out to other tenants, who will give him his share of the harvest at the right time.” Jesus said to them, “Haven't you ever read what the Scriptures say? ‘The stone which the builders rejected as worthless turned out to be the most important of all. This was done by the Lord; what a wonderful sight it is!’ “And so I tell you,” added Jesus, “the Kingdom of God will be taken away from you and given to a people who will produce the proper fruits.”
As usual I understood that the parable was meant for the Pharisees and the people of that time and the kingdom would be taken away from them and given to the outsiders. The scripture kindoff does seem to point in that direction.
But recently I heard a preaching where the priest said a different version; which made me realize a difference between giving gift and giving for lease. That made me think about a different version; on a different prospective.

What is a gift? It's a 'present' given by someone to somebody. Once the gift is given then the giver of the gift has no authority on the gift or on how the receiver intends to use it. For example if somebody gifts me a golden bracelet with an intention that I would always keep it safe at home. But I on the other hand use it regularly. Here the giver has no right to tell me 'how I should use it' i.e. how he wants me to use it.
But on the other hand if like in the parable something was given to me to nurture or keep safe, then in no condition I am supposed to be using it according to my desire. For instance if I have kept my money in a bank as a 'fixed deposit'. I would want my money to be safe and giving me interest on regular basis.
Same way if something has been given to me so that I can take care of it and give a portion of its fruit. That is what I'm supposed to do. That is the difference between a gift and given. That's what I understood. What if the slaves that the owner sent were according to current time are the rules that we say are of the country or the morale that is taught to us or the warnings from our family and loved ones.

In the same way, what if everything that we have recieved from God what if it was not a gift to us to be used according to our desire? What if whatever we have is given to us and we are supposed to give a portion of its fruits to the rightful owner. We usually say "It's my life and I'll do as I please", even I have said the same sentence a number of times; like using my hands to use it which was not meant to be used for, used my feet to go where I was not supposed to go, used my eyes to see what I was not supposed to see, used my ears to hear what I was not supposed to hear, used my tongue to say the words I was not supposed to speak, used my mind to think things I was not supposed to think. But if we know it's given to us to give back, we won't be that arrogant to do as we please.
Just for an example, we always call a temple according to the deity placed inside. It is usually not named after a person, but it is treated as a belonging to God. That is what we read in 1 Corinthians 6:19 Don't you know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and who was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourselves but to God. It is clearly written in simple words that it is "given" to you. So we are obliged to return it back. Usually we give a house or property for rent; we take a refundable security deposit which in case the tenant has made a loss or damage we reduce the refundable amount. In the same way when we go back and are ought to go back to the Lord, we are required to give back in the way it was given to us. Our God was kind enough not to take a 'security deposit', if so we could never clear it.
There is another parable in Matthew 25:14-23 “At that time the Kingdom of heaven will be like this. Once there was a man who was about to leave home on a trip; he called his servants and put them in charge of his property. He gave to each one according to his ability: to one he gave five thousand gold coins, to another he gave two thousand, and to another he gave one thousand. Then he left on his trip. The servant who had received five thousand coins went at once and invested his money and earned another five thousand. In the same way the servant who had received two thousand coins earned another two thousand. But the servant who had received one thousand coins went off, dug a hole in the ground, and hid his master's money. “After a long time the master of those servants came back and settled accounts with them. The servant who had received five thousand coins came in and handed over the other five thousand. ‘You gave me five thousand coins, sir,’ he said. ‘Look! Here are another five thousand that I have earned.’ ‘Well done, you good and faithful servant!’ said his master. ‘You have been faithful in managing small amounts, so I will put you in charge of large amounts. Come on in and share my happiness!’ Then the servant who had been given two thousand coins came in and said, ‘You gave me two thousand coins, sir. Look! Here are another two thousand that I have earned.’ ‘Well done, you good and faithful servant!’ said his master. ‘You have been faithful in managing small amounts, so I will put you in charge of large amounts. Come on in and share my happiness!’. But with the one who dug a hole to hide it, the punishment is something severeb which we read in Matthew 25:28-29 Now, take the money away from him and give it to the one who has ten thousand coins. For to every person who has something, even more will be given, and he will have more than enough; but the person who has nothing, even the little that he has will be taken away from him. Not only did he got a thing but whatever he had was taken away from him.

In the end after the times up and we have to go meet our maker which we read in 2 Corinthians 5:10 For all of us must appear before Christ, to be judged by him. We will each receive what we deserve, according to everything we have done, good or bad, in our bodily life. We will have to give full details about what was given to us, what we did with it and where are the fruits. I just have a desire that none of us would stand there speechless with heads down in shame.

During this time may God bless us all and may he keep us safe.

Comments

  1. I used to hear these parables in church and when dad read them to us, i never understood the meaning and sometimes the ending didn't seem fair, for eg, when its said that , "For to every person who has something, even more will be given, and he will have more than enough; but the person who has nothing, even the little that he has will be taken away from him." I always asked my dad, but he never was able to give a satisfactory explanation. The understanding and description by the writer here is really perceptive, I like and understand this better. Also, i never befor thought of my human life and body to be a "given" instead of a "gift". This certainly changes how I look at my life. Thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your response. God's grace I was able to write what I understood.

      Delete
  2. Very good article and God may bless you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice article. It helps me to aware about God's gifts & make use our talents. God bless your entire life

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts